High Street, Newnham, Gloucestershire

 Records for the house in the photograph (from the 1930s) can be seen as far back as 1086. However, the only real evidence of an early house on the site can be seen on a carved stone fireplace lintel which apparently shows the date – 1547. It was known as Hill House between the 1500s and the early 1900s. In 1908, the house was owned by Walburga, Lady Paget, who renamed it Unlawater House. Lady Paget (1839-1929) was born in Germany and was one of Queen Victoria’s intimate friends. She died at the age of 90 when she fell asleep in front of a fire. The newspaper she was reading slipped out of her fingers and caught alight. This fell into the grate and set her clothing on fire. Her butler attempted to put out the fire and she was taken to hospital where she died a few hours later.
In 1938, Unlawater House became a residential hotel and, during World War 2, was occupied by an assurance company. After that, it became a children’s home called Newnham House. 
Image: Photographer unknown
In recent years, Unlawater House has been divided into flats. A ‘For Sale’ sign can be seen in this photograph from March 2017.
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.

Cambridge Circus, London

Cambridge Circus in the 1890s was dominated by the Palace Theatre – built in 1891. The theatre was constructed for Richard D’Oyly Carte with a ‘chateau-esque’ design.
Image: Photographer unknown
The facade was restored for Andrew Lloyd-Webber in 1990. The current capacity is 1,400. I took this photograph in October 2020.
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.

Lea Bridge Road, London

A few years ago, Torfaen Corvine found around 30 photographs of the Leyton area of London in a charity shop. The photographs depicted daily life in the area and were probably taken in the early 1960s.
This one shows the Bakers Arms public house (on the left) and an arcade of shops on the right, including a branch of Manzes (a pie and mash shop).
The district shown is named ‘Bakers Arms’ and is named after the pub, which closed in 2010 and is now a betting shop. The pub was named after the nearby almshouses (built in 1866) which were for members of London’s baking trade and were intended for “any respectable member of the baking trade fallen into poverty, eligible according to the rules, or to the widow of such”. The pub opened a couple of years later.
Image: Photographer unknown

This photograph was taken on a sunny day in November 2020. Although the pub is no more, the arcade opposite has retained the look from the earlier photograph.
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.

The Avenue, Highams Park, London

This photograph – probably taken in the 1910s – shows what looks like the start of an outing. All the men (and there are only men) are well-dressed and could be on their way to a wedding?
Image: Photographer unknown
A different looking arcade of shops in October 2018. Plumb’s Refreshment Rooms and the London & Provincial Bank are long gone.
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.

Trafalgar Square, London

Trafalgar Square in London, photographed in 1972 by David C Cook. The National Gallery is on the left of the image, and Canada House is on the right. At this time, it was still possible for traffic to pass in front of the National Gallery.
Image: David C Cook
From the same spot in October 2020. The road layout has changed and the parking is more difficult!
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.

Bishopsgate, London

This photograph was taken in 1989 and shows part of the extensive the redevelopment of the Bishopsgate entrance to Liverpool Street railway station. Completed in 1874, Liverpool Street station was built on the site of the old Bethlem Hospital. The station thrived throughout the 20th century with the growth of commuter services to the east of London. However, further investment was required and in 1975 a plan to demolish Liverpool Street and Broad Street stations was first proposed.
With opposition to these plans, it was finally agreed that Broad Street station would be demolished, and Liverpool Street station would be redeveloped. Work on the project began in 1985 and the ‘new’ station was opened by HM The Queen in 1991.
Image: Robin Webster
This November 2020 photograph shows Bishopsgate entrance to the station, including two of the four Victorian-style clock towers.
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.

Hale End Road, Highams Park, London

A photograph of the (former) Regal Cinema in Highams Park, taken in 1985. Originally opened in April 1911 as ‘The Highams Park Electric Theatre’ with a capacity of 550, it was re-named ‘Regal Cinema’ in 1928. Further improvements were made to the building in 1933.
It was partly rebuilt in 1935, and given a modern Art Deco style facade and foyer. The Regal re-opened in September 1935 with a double bill – Irene Dunne in ‘Sweet Adeline’, and W.C. Fields in ‘It’s A Gift’.
The Regal (as a cinema) closed in September 1963 and was converted into an independent bingo club. There were further attempts to introduce films to the building, which lasted until 1971. It then became a bingo club again (circle), with the stalls being used as a snooker club.
Since 2014, plans (later abandoned) were put forward to make the building the Head Office of a security company. Then, it was planned to re-open the Regal as a 50-seat cinema. By May 2016, this seemed to have also been abandoned. In March 2018, permission was granted to restore the Regal Cinema into a twin-screen cinema and incorporating a cafe and bar.
Credit: Sandeep David Christian
By April 2020, no progress seems to have been made and the Regal remains unused.
Photograph: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.