St. John’s Wood, London

St. John’s Wood station opened in November 1939, just after the outbreak of World War II. The photograph was taken in the 1950s. This new station replaced the ‘Lord’s’ (St’ John’s Wood Road) and ‘Marlborough Road’ stations which had closed the previous day. It was on the Bakerloo line until it was transferred to the Jubilee line in May 1979.
The station building – designed by Stanley Heaps – is now Grade II listed.
Credit: London Transport Museum
In April 2017, flats built above the station can be seen, while the frontage and approach is largely unchanged.
Photo: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)

Victoria Embankment Gardens, London

In 1925, the Piccadilly underground station was due to be enlarged and so the Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain (Eros) had to be moved to a different location until the works could be completed. Several options were considered including the Tate Gallery and County Hall. After a spell in storage, a site in Victoria Embankment Gardens was offered by Westminster City Council. This was the statue’s home until December 1931 when it was re-installed in Piccadilly Circus.
Credit: via Leonard Bentley (1925)
In April 2017, the large tree to the centre-right of the photograph can still be identified. As can the seated statue of Robert Burns (erected 1884) in the bottom left-hand corner.
Photo: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)

Bunhill Fields, London

Bunhill Fields was a burial ground in London – just north of the City of London. It was operational between 1665 and 1854 and around 123,000 burials took place here. It is understood that approximately 2,000 monuments remain.
Many notable individuals’ remains are here including John Bunyan (above – photographed in 1910). Bunyan died in August 1688 and was known as the author of ‘The Pilgrim’s Progress’. Originally the family vault of Bunyan’s friend John Strudwick, it is a large Baroque stone chest. Over the years it fell into disrepair and was eventually completely reconstructed in May 1862 when a recumbent effigy of Bunyan was added to the top. The monument was restored again in 1928, and finally after World War 2 when German bombs damaged the effigy’s face.
Credit: Photographer unknown
Bunyan’s grave in August 2017.
Photo: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)

Whitehall, London

The Remembrance Day parade past the Cenotaph in Whitehall in November 1923. On the right hand side of the photograph is a B-Type bus (B43). These vehicles (900 in total) were used in WW1 to move British troops around. They were painted khaki and their windows were removed as they were prone to break – mainly due to contact with the soldiers’ rifles.  The B-Type buses served until the end of the war. They were then used to help bring the troops home.
In the 1920s, the B43 was withdrawn from service and was given the nickname ‘Ole Bill’ – after a caricature of a British soldier by Bruce Bairnsfather. An example of ‘Ole Bill’ can be seen in the Imperial War Museum.
Credit: Photographer unknown
From the same spot in February 2017.
Photo: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)

Albert Embankment, London

In 1991, the construction of this building caught the eye of Steve Williams who took this photograph. The building was opened in July 1994 by H. M. The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh as the headquarters of the UK’s Secret Intelligence Services (SIS) – or MI6.
In the 19th century, the location of the SIS building was occupied by the Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens. When they were removed in the 1850s, industrial buildings occupied the site. These included a glass factory, a vinegar works and a gin distillery. Excavation of the site during construction found evidence of glass kilns dating from the 17th century, and also barge houses, and an inn called The Vine.
Credit: Steve Williams
The project to construct the SIS HQ was approved in 1988 by the Prime Minister (Margaret Thatcher).
There is a rumour that a tunnel exits from here to Whitehall. Also, the windows are triple glazed for security purposes. Large parts of the building are below street level, with numerous underground corridors linking areas in the building. This photograph was taken in January 2017.
Photo: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)