St. Paul’s Church, Covent Garden, London St. Paul’s church in Covent Garden was designed by Inigo Jones and completed in 1633. Because of its association with the theatre community, it became known as ‘the actors’ church, and was the first new church to be built in London since the Reformation. In 1789, the church was badly damaged by fire and reconstructed by 1798.J.M.W. Turner was baptised here and many actors are commemorated at the church – either by having their names on benches outside, or with plaques and tablets inside the church. Memorials to Stanley Holloway, Charles Chaplin, Boris Karloff, Noel Coward Vivien Leigh, Richard Beckinsale, and Gracie Fields can be seen. The graveyard (behind the church closed for burials in 1852 but can still be visited. Image: Photographer unknown St. Paul’s Church in December 2021. The area around Covent Garden is now a major London tourist attraction. Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews) A merged version of the two images. Use the slider in the centre.