Charing Cross, London

A photograph taken in 1910 with taxis gathered in front of Charing Cross Railway Station. The Charing Cross Hotel was built in the 1860s and, at the same time, a replica of the Eleanor Cross was erected in the cobbled forecourt of the station. The design of the cross was based on the original Whitehall Cross. That was erected in 1291 and demolished in 1647 by order of Parliament. Distances from London were (and still are) measured from the original site of the cross – now occupied by the statue of Charles I – in Trafalgar Square, facing Whitehall.
Over the years, this replica deteriorated and was considered to be ‘at risk’. Some 10 years ago, the cross was repaired and restored. This work included duplicating and attaching nearly 100 missing features.
Image: Photographer unknown
By February 2020, all of the buildings in the background of the 1910 photograph have been replaced. The restored replica cross remains and the forecourt is still a place for the London cab trade.
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.

Buckingham Palace, London

During the course of World War 2, Buckingham Palace and its grounds were hit by German bombs on 16 different occasions – 9 were direct hits. The first hit was on September 8 1940 and the last was on September 13 1940. This is when the damage in the above photograph was caused.
Image: Photographer unknown
The April 2018 view of the same spot.
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.

Hale End Road, Highams Park, London

An interesting and varied parade of shops in Hale End Road, Highams Park – photographed in around 1900. The Chingford to Liverpool Street railway line is behind the photographer.
Image: Photographer unknown (Highams Park Society)
The same view on a quiet Sunday morning in February 2021. The disused Regal Cinema can be seen on the left-hand side of the photograph.
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.

High Road, Leyton, London

The above building was completed in 1895 to replace Leyton’s earlier town hall which had been opened only 13 years earlier. It was officially opened by the Duke and Duchess of York in March 1896. This photograph was taken in 1911. The building was described by Nikolaus Pevsner as “fussy but enjoyable, in an eclectic and enriched Italianate style”. The great hall was used for the showing of silent films, prior to The Great War. The building became the Municipal Borough of Leyton’s headquarters in 1927 but ceased to be the local seat of government in 1965, when the London Borough of Waltham Forest was formed.
Image: Photographer unknown
In 2006, it was sold to a developer and was extensively renovated before re-opening as a business centre in 2010. Apartments also form part of the complex. I took this photograph in February 2021.
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.

Buckingham Palace, London

A postcard image of ‘The Buckingham Palace’ from around the 1890s. The palace is the London residence and ‘corporate HQ’ of the UK’s Royal Family. The palace is usually the location for state events, royal hospitality, and national rejoicing (Royal weddings, etc.).
The building at the heart of today’s palace was built for the Duke of Buckingham in 1703 and was called Buckingham House. The house was bought by George III in 1761 and, during the 19th. century, was enlarged by architects John Nash and Edward Blore. Buckingham Palace became the monarch’s London residence in 1837 on the accession of Queen Victoria.
Further structural changes were made in the late 19th. and early 20th. centuries (see the ‘now’ photograph below).
Image: Photographer unknown
In 2018, Buckingham Palace’s role as a tourist attraction is evident.
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.

High Road, Tottenham, London

The photographer was standing on the steps of a church opposite (what became) Bill Nicholson Way – the main entrance to Tottenham Hotspur’s ground. The photograph was taken in 1962.
Image: Photographer unknown
In 2019, all traces of Bill Nicholson Way have disappeared, to be replaced by part of the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. The church however is still there, as are the gates.
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.

Haymarket, London

Thomas Burberry was just 21 when he founded Burberry’s in 1853. Nearly 40 years later, they opened their first store in London – at 30 Haymarket.  As the company became more successful, they moved to this location, photographed above, in 1913. The building was designed by Walter Cave and the address was 18-21 Haymarket.
Burberry’s headquarters remained at this building until 2007 when they moved to a new HQ in North London.  
Image: Burberry
When Burberry’s left, a number of possible uses were considered – luxury boutique hotel, high-end retail space, or even residential accommodation. Now (March 2020), the building houses Dover Street Market.
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.

Imperial War Museum, Lambeth Road, London

Originally housed in other locations (including the Crystal Palace and in South Kensington), the Imperial War Museum found its present (and permanent) home in 1936. The building was formerly the Bethlem Royal Hospital. In 2011, the museum was rebranded as IWM. This photograph was taken in the 1940s.
Image: Photographer unknown
In 1967, the IWM acquired a pair of 15-inch naval guns which can be seen in front of the building. One came from HMS Ramillies and the other was from both HMS Resolution and HMS Roberts. They were both used in battle during World War 2. They were placed on permanent display here in May 1968. I took this photograph in August 2020 during a heatwave and in the middle of the COVID-19 crisis.
Image: © Steven Miell (TimeViews)
A merged version of the two images above. Use the slider in the centre.